Though the Star of the show is paid much more than the stars of years gone by, every year, year in year out, we get the same "PM knows best" assessment of the current situation and how great the Nightmarish 'A Team' is doing to make Singapore better!
The assessment is always good! If it's not good, as it is now, the fault is always with someone else - globalisation, USA, China, Europe or even our neighbours! Or plain Singaporeans who simply do not measure up!
Check out what's on the ground and in the msm lately:
- We must be mindful of racial and religious harmony (as if we aren't)
- We must not let 'democracy' screw up Singapore's stability (as if we can wear kangaroo T'shirt and not go to jail)
- Hidden cameras in Hong Lim Park (for safety indeed)
- We must be more 'welcoming' to foreign workers (and not let them serve NS)
- We must 'get real' and tighten our belts (while ministers are still enjoying their $millions)
- We must encourage our fathers and mothers to work as cleaners in hotels (I'd love my 80+ year-old mum to be the Queen of England!)
- We must be 'more forgiving' to those responsible for the mess we are in. Be it Mas Selamat, Temasek, GIC or even the Town Councils who gamble and give away our money to Lehman Brothers. (Or are those at the top so super that they don't shit?)
Alas, however hard they try, the poor cameramen still find it very difficult not to capture the very important specially selected audience from dozing off when The Man just go on and on about the current situation in Singapore and what great plans he and his NightmareTeam has to make Singapore better, again and again!
History of this particular show tells us of:
- "Stop at 2"
- "Build A Rugged Society"
- "More Good Years"
- "Have More Children If You Can Afford"
- "Screw Graduates and Make Clever Babies"
- "Build A More Inclusive Society"
I know I won't be fooled again in watching the same. It's just too painful watching a guy talking for more than 3 hours. Experts tell me that a human's attention span lasting for 45 minutes is already an awesome feat! It tortures me to see audience trying their utmost to look attentive, forced to laugh at jokes that aren't funny and fearing for their well-being should they be caught in camera with their eyes shut close because the speaker can't cut it!
Hope springs eternal and I love pleasant surprises.
It would be nice if the Star announces that Ministers and their Nightmare Team will take a pay cut or contribute the obscene 40% increase (which they had since their last increase) to help the deserving poor before more Singaporeans destitute themselves through no fault of theirs! It'll do that nation good. It'll put a stop to the mockery of National Service and Nation Building!
It would be nice if, for once, the Star of the Show can admit that it's okay to screw up. Why keep putting up a front and not admit that some things are not right due to one's bad decisions. Nobody's perfect!
If Barrack Obama who earns only one-sixth the Star's salary can be man enough to admit his mistake, I do not see why the Star can't.
It'll be nice!
It may even win more votes without giving away goodies bags!
Me? I'll catch a more star-studded show in watching a soccer game in the English Premier League!