George Yeo has given up. Lim Hwee Hua is doing the same. Likewise, Jessie Phua. They have or are going to give up the post as Advisor to grassroot organisations in Aljunied GRC. [Link
Are grassroot organisations formed by PA to serve PAP or the people? Yes, do CCC's (Citizen Consultative Committees) serve the citizens or PAP? Do RC's (Residents' Committees) serve residents or PAP?
What does it take to allow duly elected MPs (regardless of which party they belong to) to be advisor to CCC and RC? The monopoly of PAP in PA (people's association, for heaven's sake, not pappies' association) is so ridiculously shameful that I have to stamp my feet and say, "I don't know what to say"!
I now read Teo Chee Hean's "Do the right things, and do them right" [Link
] and I wonder when preachers preach, do preachers do?
Doing the right thing?
- Is delaying the payment of CPF (through all kinds of tricky schemes) to retirees (cash poor) a right thing to do?
- Is paying ministers obscene millions a right thing to do?
- Is paying Mercer $860,000 to justify the new salary of ministers a right thing to do?
- Is going to China and elsewhere, using taxpayers money, to give scholarships to foreigners (while neglecting locals) a right thing to do?
- Is treating foreigners (regardless of their talent) as 1st class and treating Singaporeans as low class a right thing to do?
- Is paying interest on CPF (peoples' money) at a lower rate than EPF pays Malaysians a right thing to do?
- Is giving $1.1billion of taxpayers' money to PTOs to enhance their business a right thing to do?
- Is belittling and bullying opposition MPs in parliament a right thing to do?
- Is helping the rich in abolishing the Estates Duty Act a right thing to do?
- Is making Singaporeans paying one of the *highest taxes in the world and not provide basic health care for the needy poor, old, feeble and disabled a right thing to do?
- Last but not least, for a self-proclaimed 1st world government, is bringing in 2 millions foreigners (over the past 20 years) without planning to accommodate their housing, transportation and social needs a right thing to do?
If one cannot do the right things in the first place, how does one do them right?
George Yeo is right in saying that Singapore is fragmented and is not having faith in PAP. I would think any rational thinking person would know too, way before the 2011 General Election. However, the authoritative, pappy-knows-best politicians are so blinded by their despotic power craze that they were like, "SNAFU" - Situation Normal but All Fouled Up!
Most Singaporeans (not all) are kept so busy with their work, their living, their survival, that they have no time to know what the government is doing to them. And that's what PAP wants . . . a people so engrossed with their surval and material accumulation that they do not have time to bother with what the government is doing to them. However, times have changed. If a old fogey with only secondary education can feel the injustice, the angst of being treated like 'daft' dirt (compared to foreigners), what more of the younger folks with better education?
As much as I abhor the arrogance and hypocrisy of PAP, I wish not to witness the sufferings of elites blinded by power, wealth and glory. If a father loves his child, LKY is not having it easy growing old with what is on the plate of of his son, LHL. The crap has hit the fan and the skeletons are falling off the cupboard. Since May 2011, the bad news and embarrassing revelations of the government has been appearing much faster and more often. Sadly, the firefighting and damage control is not keeping the people happy.
However, even for PAP, all is not lost. Instead of 'buying and fixing', the time is nigh to lead with honesty, humility, understanding and compassion. To be fair, to be just. To put the Singapore pledge into practice and not treat it as a joke or an 'aspiration'. Do it. Live it. That's the right thing to do and it can be done right!
If not, the saying of riches and power not lasting more than 3 generations will come to pass. The government held by 3 consecutive PAP PMs will come to an end in 2016.
Soothe the anger, unite the nation.
We are Singaporeans
*highest taxes in the world - I'm not a numbers guy but the way Singaporeans pay taxes, levies or 'whatever.you.call.it' I figure we must be paying lots to the government. Eg.: CPF, Income Tax, "Subsidised HDB flats", ERP, Domestic Help Levy, Foreign Workers Levy, Water Borne Tax, Electrical Usage surcharge and many others that are so cleverly and trickily administered. Oh, not forgetting the surcharge (admin fee) one has to pay to use your Medisave to pay for your medical expenses!